Mixed Media Artist

Welcome to my blog. I hope that in the months to come you will come and visit and check out what I've been working on! Let me know what you think!
Lenall
Visit my website at: http://www.lenall.com/

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Felting Critique Session

The Felted hangings in 2009.

The felted wall hangings in '08.

A year after I learned to felt, I made these felted wall hangings for our PAC 08 Open Doors Show. The flowers are actually felted into the piece. I thought they were very pretty, the colors were good. They were also original. Something no one else was doing. I backed the felted, embroidered and beaded and added antique sequins pieces using felt for the wall hanging and attached them to Bell Pull hardware. The work I did was neat and clean.


I had high expectations for them. Since they took an inordinate amount of time to create I priced them originally at $75.00 and $45.00. I sold one at that first show and traded one to one of my friends.

So, in Jan 09, I had another show at a coffee shop and hung the pieces as they were and sold none. In March, I took the pieces home and sold several of them to my family for 1/2 price. (I warned them ahead of time that I needed the money!)


In fall, I took them to the gallery and none sold. For the 09 Open Doors Show, I changed the hardware to pretty twigs and used matching yarn to hang them with. I did this so I could lower the prices to maybe, $50.00 and $35.00 but still none sold.
It's time to retire these pieces... The shoppers voted. They did not pass.
So why did they not sell? Price? Too expensive for a gift? Too cute? Maybe the colors were too bright? What is it about them that made them not want to go home with someone?
What makes a good item good and a not so good item not so good?



No comments:

Post a Comment