Mixed Media Artist

Welcome to my blog. I hope that in the months to come you will come and visit and check out what I've been working on! Let me know what you think!
Lenall
Visit my website at: http://www.lenall.com/

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Paint who you are.



Bohemian Rhapsody
My Mother's Daughter


Croton Hair so Fine





Sweet Bippy






Rose Sachet




It's much more interesting for you and for the viewer. *Robert Burridge


Oscar Wilde said, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."





This morning, I've been reading the Robert Burridge Artsy Farsy News: http://www.robertburridge.com/newsletter/artsyfartsy_feb10/
and came across these two quotes that really resonnate with me.

I have taken a hiatus from painting seriously this past year. Oh, yeah, not totally, as I painted my mixed media papers, I also did paste paper, and I painted at Art and Soul last year. But I really have not been painting. I haven't really explored why that has taken place. I don't think it's been a consious choice but more of that I have been doing more crafty things.


Lately, I have been thinking about doing some pieces that will be painted and collaged and I am anxiously percolating on ideas. I don't start though. I know once I start things will be great. Each weekend, I put it on my mental list of things to do yet when I get there I go back to mindless, relaxing mixed media papers or cardmaking.

In all that I do, I know I have a definite style of my own. I like that about myself. The style is bold, colorful, loose and out there. It might not be your style. It might not fit into your home. I have noticed the safer things that I do are the pieces that sell. Poured landscapes sold in 2008 so I made more for the 2009 show and I none of them sold. There were 3 or 4 of them that I thought were good.



So my question to myself (and maybe to you, too) is:


Do I do art that I want to do, purely for the joy of it without worrying what will become of it? Or worrying, will someone like it enough to buy it? Or will it be accepted by my peers?


OR


Do I try to find a happy medium that will both please me and others? That way I know that I have a chance to sell pieces? I believe I can find a happy medium. Will I be happy with it? Will you?


Can we talk?




























1 comment:

  1. Lenall, your portraits are so vibrant and joyous! I love the bit of whimsy, too.

    ReplyDelete