Mixed Media Artist

Welcome to my blog. I hope that in the months to come you will come and visit and check out what I've been working on! Let me know what you think!
Lenall
Visit my website at: http://www.lenall.com/

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Art & Soul 2010

Jesse Reno Class



Jesse Reno Class
Jesse Reno Class

Jesse Reno Class




Jesse Reno Class

Stephanie Lee Class
Stephanie Lee Class

Stephanie Lee Class



Stephanie Lee Class


Stephanie Lee Class

Stephanie Lee Class
Art & Soul had a different overall feeling for me this year.  It seemed that there were far, far less people and that a lot of the people (and I mean a big percentage) were new to the adventure.  I have nothing against new people but it was kind of an interesting observance.  My thought was that a lot of old people are going to venues closer to home and a lot of those may be experiencing, "Do I really need to do this?"  I have felt this way the past 3 years but I continue to go and totally enjoy myself.  My one comment would be, "I wish that instructors could offer more to the more experienced artists than a demo or two and a great kick start."  It has often appeared to me that newbies ask for attention and get it.  My problem might be that I hit the ground running and don't look back...

What did I take?
Class:  Painting Mindscapes with Stephanie Lee.
What enticed me to take the class?  I liked the class samples and it was an abstract painting class.  The description noted that we would be working with a palette knife and heavy bodied acrylics.  I had not used these before and wanted to learn.  The night portion of the class was a demo of how to apply the drywall compound to different substrates.  I applied and textured maybe 9 different things.  I was done by 8:15.  I wish that she would have had a demo for the painting part so we could have hit the ground running the next day.  I ended up working on about 6-7 different pieces and almost finished 3 good ones.  I was pleased.   Two of the top 4 photos are scanned excerpts taken from larger pieces I did in the class. 
Lori Scott Class

Lori Scott Class


Class:  Shibori Dying Ribbons  with Lori Scott
Why?  I had an ulterior motive in taking this class.  I had purchased about 30 silk scarves at an Estate Sale 3 years ago and wanted to do something with them for our show.  I tried painting with inks 2 years ago and embroidering and beading and appliqueing earlier this summer.  They hadn't even been taken out of the packages.  So I got permission from Lori ahead of time and she told me that she would be dumping all the left over dye so that it would not be a problem as long as we did not run out.
OH, my GOD!  I dyed my ribbons and then had over 1/2 the class yet to devote to the scarves.  It was mass production at it's finest!   I felt like a creative well-oiled machine.  On top of that, I was thrilled with the results.  I had been wanting to do some dying for 21/2 years.  I even have procion dyes that I got at the same sale.  The class was over officially at 9:30 and I was there while she cleaned up until 10:15.  What was I doing?  Ironing to heat set the dyes!  Then once I got home, I continued ironing and admiring my scarves till 12:15.  I felt very proud of how they turned out and glad to finally finish that project.

Jane Wynn Class

Jane Wynn Class

Jane Wynn Class

Class:  Sculpting the Sketch with Jane Wynn
I felt I needed to have a refresher in drawing and thought this might be a good kick start.  What I found as soon as it started was that I should not have taken it.  I know that I like to go fast and decided that I do like to draw, but not with pencils. I'd rather do it using pen and ink.  The pencils were too messy.  It was just a bad match of personality to a nice class!  Jane was a doll and very talented!

Class: Freedom to Create  with Jesse Reno
This was my favorite class.  I took the class because I saw in his style something I could incorporate, change and make my own.  Jesse demoed as he called out "prompts."  What he was actually doing was looking at his painting and verbalizing what he thought he should do with it next.  Everyone followed suit.  Of course, no two looked alike and all turned out great!  His style is much "scarier" than what I want to create, but I love his ceative process and thought processes.  The pieces I worked on in this class were all large format.  The bird was done on a piece I cropped from the Cat with the Bird on his head.   The scan of that piece is a very small part of the overall piece.

I spent all of Saturday 10/16 finishing and framing a few of the above pieces.  Life is good!


1 comment:

  1. Like all your work - but especially the colorful pieces.

    ReplyDelete